You may be trying to access this site from a secured browser on the server. Please enable scripts and reload this page.
Turn on more accessible mode
Turn off more accessible mode
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Turn off Animations
Turn on Animations
Use SHIFT+ENTER to open the menu (new window).
ARC Vision & Mission
ARC Council Members
ARC Executive Management
ARC Legislative Mandate
ARC Annual Reports
ARC Copyright Material
Agricultural Research Acts
Policy on the Applications of Biotechnology
POPI PAIA Manual
Tax Compliance Status Pin Issued
Workman's Compensation Letter of Good Standing
AP (Irene) Venues for hire
AE (Silverton) Venues for hire
IC (Rustenburg) Venues for hire
Infruitec-Nietvoorbij (Stellenbosch) Venues for hire
TSC (Nelspruit) Venues for hire
OVR (Onderstepoort) Venues for hire
VOP (Roodeplaat) Venues for hire
* Agricultural Engineering News Articles
* Deciduous Fruit Pamphlet Series
* Economic Analysis Reports/Studies/News Articles
* Factsheets on Spiders and Weeds Research
* Grain Crops Factsheets
* Grain Crops News Articles
* National Beef Scheme Newsletters
* PPR, SANSA & SAPIA Newsletters
* Small Grain News Articles
* Small Grain Production Guidelines
* Small Grain Radio Talks
* Tropical and Subtropical Crops Leaflets
* Tropical and Subtropical Crops News Articles
* UMLINDI Newsletters
* Vegetable and Ornamental Plant Leaflets
* Vegetable Production Guidelines
* Soil, Climate and Water News articles and Pamphlets
Training & Advisory Services
Careers at ARC
Human Capital Development Strategy
Choosing the Right Career
Professional & Graduates Development Programmes
How do I apply?
Contact ARC-Corporate Office
Contact ARC-International Relations
Contact Research Campuses
Deciduous Fruit, Vines and Wine
Emerging Pests and Diseases
F3: Fruit Fly Free
Plant Health and Protection
Plant Pathology and Microbiology
Smallholder Agricultural Development/Training
Soil, Climate and Water
Tropical and Subtropical Crops
Vegetable and Ornamental Plants
DRAFT QUESTIONNAIRE - The Development of Economic and Sustainability Framework for Citrus Resource-Poor Farmers in South Africa
1. Please indicate your age in complete
2. Indicate your province
3. Please indicate your gender
Kindly indicate your marital status
How many people are in your household?
4. Indicate your educational achievements?
5. Indicate your business experience (in years)?
6. Indicate your experience in farming in general (in years)?
7. How long have you been involved in citrus farming (in years)?
8. May you be kind to tell us the name of your farm?
9. What is the size of your farm in hectares?
10. What are your objectives for participating in citrus production?
11. How was your farm accessed?
12. What is nearest town from your farm?
13. What type of soils are found on the farm?
14. What is the amount of annual rainfall in your area?
15. Indicate which one/ones among the below listed citrus commodities or species is planted on your farm.
16. Please write the number of hectares for orange, soft citrus (naartjie), grapefruit and lemon separately in the space below.
17. Select the names of orange cultivars, currently cultivated on your farm.
18. How many farm sections do you have on oranges?
19. Indicate the planting densities only for the orange trees planted in your farm sections.
20. Indicate the age only for the orange trees planted in your farm sections.
21. Select the names of the rootstock unto which orange cultivars are grafted or planted.
22. Do you have an irrigation system on the farm?
23. What is the source of the water for irrigation?
24. Did you make profit In the past three years?
25. In case the answer is no, please provide an explanation?
26. Indicate the yield/ha in the past three years?
27. Indicate the cost of production/ha in the past three years?
28. Indicate the income in Rand/ha in the past three years?
29. Indicate the profit as percentage of production cost/ha in the past three years?
30. Using your own experience, rate important factors contributing most to capital cost.
1. Land contributes most?
2. Establishing irrigation system?
3. Buying fertilizer and chemicals?
4. Farm-labour contribute most?
5. Irrigation contributes most?
6. Tractors and implements?
7. Interest charged on loans?
8. Electricity and fuel
9. Marketing cost
10. HR & Administration
11. Other factors
31. Evaluate on scale of 1-7 the factors that are important towards achieving high yields.
1. Selection of high yielding cultivar?
2. Selection of a suitable rootstock?
3. Good planting density?
4. Fertilizer Application?
5. Constant irrigation of citrus trees?
6. Practice of Conservation Agriculture?
7. Replacing of old trees?
8. Other factors
32. Rate the importance of the following factors in terms of building social capital and transfer of skills to farmer
1. Constant visits by public extension officers?
2. Constant visits by private-sector extension officers?
3. Being a member of a farmer-association or a commodity group?
4. Belonging to share-equity scheme?
5. Access to cellphone and internet?
6. Receiving training on business management and book-keeping?
7. Being connected to government officials or politicians?
8. Other factors
33. Indicate how much each of the markets receive for your produce?
Local National Fresh Produce markets
Retail supermarkets (e.g. Spar)
Juice processing firms
34. Rate the importance of the following factors on their contribution towards profitability.
1. Employing few labourers per ha?
2. Buying farm inputs in large quantities and getting a discount?
3. Adopting high-yielding citrus trees?
4. Selling produce at a premium price?
5. Selling to export markets?
7. Supplying citrus during out-of-season
8. Using less electricity & less fuel?
9. Renting a farm and not buying one?
10. Other factors
35. Had you ever heard about the concept of sustainable agricultural practices?
36. Please explain to us your understanding of the concept of sustainable agricultural practices?
37. Select the status of sustainable practices on your farm.
At all times
1. To sustain soil fertility I use compost as fertilizer?
2. In order to attain high yields I apply industrial fertilizer?
3. In order to control insects I apply insecticides?
4. To control insects I use natural agents or natural enemies?
5. In order to retain soil moisture I apply mulching
6. In order to control diseases I apply fungicide
7. In order to enhance soil fertility I do intercropping
8. To save cost I use more machinery and less labour
9. For effective irrigation I use sprinkler and flood irrigation
10. To ensure water-use-efficiency I use drip irrigation
11. To save on electricity I use solar energy and gas
12. To save the cost of diesel I use ethanol and/or biodiesel
38. Select which one of the below listed attributes, since you’ve started farming, have increased, decreased or remained the same.
Remained the same
No of Labour per ha
Income per ha
No. of ha under citrus
Volumes of exports
Savings in the bank
Land under irrigation
39. Where the attribute had remained the same or decreased please provide reasons.
41. Indicate if you are worried that in the next 20 years, the below situations might happen in your citrus enterprise.
1. Levels of yield might decrease
2. No longer have enough irrigation water
3. No longer be able to secure more suitable land for citrus
4. Citrus diseases might cause the business to collapse
5. Too much fertilizer may damage soil fertility
6. Too much application of insecticides might kill important living organisms
7. Not able to secure good quality trees or cultivars
8. No one to take over if you pass-on
9. Too high levels of debt
10. No longer realize profit
11. Cannot afford to hire more labour anymore
12. That oligopolistic behavior of big citrus firms might render your business not able to compete
42. If you answered yes for situations that might happen in your citrus enterprise in future, please provide reasons.
43. List three most important factors that would ensure that your enterprise attain profitability without damaging the environment.
44. List three important factors for ensuring that the citrus production is sustained for ever going into the future.
45. Indicate from which organizations or individuals technical support was received.
Retailers e.g. Spar
46. Indicate the year by which technical support was delivered?
47. Indicate the nature of technical support received?
Business plan; Training on cultivation
48. With regards to your answer for question 45-47, which one among the above mentioned organizations rendered good technical support, and if so how did they contribute?
Created at 9/11/2019 11:43 AM by Marlyn MJJ. Cant
Last modified at 9/11/2019 11:44 AM by Marlyn MJJ. Cant