You may be trying to access this site from a secured browser on the server. Please enable scripts and reload this page.
Turn on more accessible mode
Turn off more accessible mode
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Turn off Animations
Turn on Animations
Use SHIFT+ENTER to open the menu (new window).
ARC Vision & Mission
ARC Council Members
ARC Executive Management
ARC Legislative Mandate
ARC Annual Reports
ARC Copyright Material
Agricultural Research Acts
Policy on the Applications of Biotechnology
POPI PAIA Manual
Tax Compliance Status Pin Issued
Workman's Compensation Letter of Good Standing
AP (Irene) Venues for hire
AE (Silverton) Venues for hire
IC (Rustenburg) Venues for hire
Infruitec-Nietvoorbij (Stellenbosch) Venues for hire
TSC (Nelspruit) Venues for hire
OVR (Onderstepoort) Venues for hire
VOP (Roodeplaat) Venues for hire
* Agricultural Engineering News Articles
* Deciduous Fruit Pamphlet Series
* Economic Analysis Reports/Studies/News Articles
* Factsheets on Spiders and Weeds Research
* Grain Crops Factsheets
* Grain Crops News Articles
* National Beef Scheme Newsletters
* PPR, SANSA & SAPIA Newsletters
* Small Grain News Articles
* Small Grain Production Guidelines
* Small Grain Radio Talks
* Tropical and Subtropical Crops Leaflets
* Tropical and Subtropical Crops News Articles
* UMLINDI Newsletters
* Vegetable and Ornamental Plant Leaflets
* Vegetable Production Guidelines
* Soil, Climate and Water News articles and Pamphlets
Training & Advisory Services
Careers at ARC
Human Capital Development Strategy
Choosing the Right Career
Professional & Graduates Development Programmes
How do I apply?
Contact ARC-Corporate Office
Contact ARC-International Relations
Contact Research Campuses
Deciduous Fruit, Vines and Wine
Emerging Pests and Diseases
F3: Fruit Fly Free
Plant Health and Protection
Plant Pathology and Microbiology
Smallholder Agricultural Development/Training
Soil, Climate and Water
Tropical and Subtropical Crops
Vegetable and Ornamental Plants
CSA Fruit Trees and Vegetable Crops Module
Mapengo Basani Sharon
Ba-Phalaborwa Selwane service center
1. Which of these gases contribute to the greenhouse effect?
1. Carbon dioxide
2. Which of the following agricultural practices are major contributors to climate change?
3. Which of the following can negatively influence crop production?
4. Increased pest infections
4. Climate change is only affecting large commercial farmers
5. Regenerative agriculture practices like minimum or no tillage, crop rotation, and cover cropping increase soil biodiversity and organic matter, leading to more resilient soils that can?
1. Better withstand climate change impacts like flooding and drought.
6. Select the aspects below that can be considered a climate smart agricultural practice?
1. Intensify use of existing agricultural areas
7. Which of the following is NOT a farming method that is used to make agriculture sustainable?
4. Growing one type of crop
8. Which of the following is an environmental benefit of sustainable agriculture?
2. Soil quality is maintained
9. All of the following are adaptive strategies to cope with climate change except?
4. Restore, conserve and use natural resources sustainably
10. The following human activities produce greenhouse gases except?
4. Generating electricity from natural gas, oil, & coal
11. Climate Smart Agriculture is based on which of the following principles?
1. Mitigation – reducing greenhouse gas emissions
12. The major reasons for multiple cropping are?
3. To maintain long term sustainability
13. How can trees play a role in mitigating climate change challenges?
3. Absorb carbon dioxide
14. Advantages of mulching include which of the following?
1. Reduces evaporation and moisture loss from the soil
15. What is rainwater harvesting?
C. Collection and concentration of runoff from rainwater
16. What is rainwater harvesting used for?
D. All options
17. Mention three rainwater harvesting techniques
B. Tied ridging, In-field rainwater harvesting&Small pits
18. Mention four logic steps to follow in the design of a rainwater harvesting system
B. Compaction of the catchment area, Deep cultivation, Construction of the rainwater harvesting technique&Planting
19. Which type of roof is expected to collect the lowest runoff amount?
A. Organic (e.g. thatched)
20. What material is NOT needed to establish a bag system vegetable garden?
D. Watering Can
21. What are the advantages or benefits of the bag system?
A. It conserves water; B. No to minimum weed control is needed; C. Requires less area to optimize yield per unit area
22. Which material/s can be used for mulching?
A. Compost; B. Straw and/or hay; C. Black plastic
23. When collecting grass from veld for mulching, avoid grass with?
24. Climate smart crop production is an approach for?
E. All options
25. What causes climate change?
D. Depleted natural resources
26. Climate change effects are reflected by?
A. Increased extreme temperatures; C. Changes in rainfall pattern
27. Climate change adaptation and mitigation strategies in crop production include?
A. Rainwater harvesting; C. Conservation agriculture
Created at 7/9/2021 1:40 PM by
Last modified at 7/9/2021 1:40 PM by